Another outdated article taken down at Suite101 in the house cleaning. In an effort to electronically hoard my articles it’s now on my blog.
The 12th Annual TransWorld SKATEboarding Awards were bestowed on Tuesday, June 15, 2010. This is one of the industy’s major awards; eight awards in all were presented. Presiding over the event was TransWorld’s publisher, Jamey Stone and also holding it down were SkatePark of Tampa’s Brian Schaefer and Pat Duffy, which made for an entertaining event! In addition to recognizing and honoring skateboarding’s stand-outs, there was also a premiere for the new skate vid, Hallelujah!
There were many luminaries of skate in attendance including Jimmy Carlin, Daniel Castillo, Chad Fernandez, Rodney Johnson and Chico (Give Me My Money!) Brenes.
The evening’s most poignant moment came when Eric Stricker’s widow, Arnette Stricker introduced the awards ceremony. It hasn’t even been a year since the TWS editor and skate guru’s passing and it was touching that she was included and it was great that she was there to represent her husband.
The award winners were determined by polling over 150 professional skateboarders worldwide. The legions of TransWorld SKATEboarding’s readers voted for the winner of the TWS Readers’ Choice Award.
Winners of the 12th Annual TransWorld SKATEboarding Awards
- Best Rookie Award went to Brandon Westgate. Westgate was up against Grant Taylor and Luan Oliveira.
- Best Video Part Award was presented to Grant Taylor for his part in the Nike SB classic, Debacle. The nominees for Best Video Part included Zered Bassett – State Of Mind (Zoo York) and Bob Burnquist – Extremely Sorry (Flip)
- Best Team Award went to the Flip Team.The nominees for this category also included Sk8mafia and Zoo York, but Flip pulled it out!
- The Award for Best Street Skater went to Chris Cole, who has been winning a lot of things this year and wasn’t at the event, possibly recovering form the recent Maloof NYC victory or off winning something else … . The nominees for Best Street Skater included Dennis Busenitz, and Zered Bassett.
- The Best Transition Award was presented to Grant Taylor. The other nominees for Best Transition were Bob Burnquist and Jake Brown.
- Best Video went to Flip’s Extremely Sorry, a slice of skate heaven that took five years to make and includes a slew of amazing footy from Burnquist, Caples, Gonzalez, Oliveira, Mountain, and even more. The competition was tight and included the nominees Zoo York’s State Of Mind, and the Sk8mafia Am Video.
- The Readers’ Choice went to the inimitable Lizard King, who upon his acceptance screamed “I fucking deserve this!” And most agree that he did indeed deserve it and that is why so many readers voted for him! The other nominees for Readers’ Choice were Chris Cole and Sean Malto.
TWS Legend Award
The TWS Legend Award for 2010 was awarded to one of skateboarding’s most influential skaters, Matt Hensley, pioneer of street tech in the late 80s and early 90s (remember H Street’s Shackle-Me-Not?).
In addition to his skating career, Hensley is also known for his accordion playing in the band, Flogging Molly. Hensley was at the event with his lovely wife, Desiree Hensley. Previous winners of the prestigious TWS Legend Award include Mark Gonzales, Tony Hawk, Christian Hosoi, and Lance Mountain.
Sure, there are skaters and videos who were conspicuous in their absence, and awardees that maybe not everyone agrees on, but the bottom line is, TWS Awards was a celebration of skaters and people within the industry and fans voted, so it’s all good. The disagreements about who won awards should fuel some pretty decent debates for some time.
Hallelujah Video Premiere
Transworld’s 22nd film, Hallelujah a brand spanking new video by Jon Holland and Chris Ray, starrring the skate stylings of the always amazing Ryan Decenzo, Pete Eldridge, Torey Pudwill, Taylor Bingaman, and Tyler Bledsoe, was also premiered at the end of the evening. It was the unofficial end of the event – then the after party began, so it all really wasn’t over for some time after the video, as the party went on into the night. Congrats to all of the winners!